Garrard Mills

Hidden treasure venue in Garrard County!

IMG_14276

The Garrard Mill is a historic landmark in Garrard County.  Its three-and-a-half-storied main building sits at on the corner of Ball Alley and East Buford Street. The land was originally part of C.C. Stormes homestead.1 Harriet E. Stone and her husband R.A. sold the land to J.S. Minor and Son and they built the mill in 1901.1  In 1909, W. F. Champ bought the mill from Minor.2  Champ owned and ran the mill until November of 1944 when L. H. Moore purchased the mill and the business.3 L.H. Moore died while in office as Lancaster’s mayor in 19584 and left the mill to his wife, Anita. Mrs. Moore owned the mill until 1989 when a civil action resulted in the Special Commissioner auctioning the the mill property.5  William Kirby Teater bought the property for the low price of $52,500, and the Teaters operated the…

View original post 336 more words

Advertisements

Garrard Distilleries

Lancaster distillery info… thank you for your research!

distillery

Garrard County was the home to several distilleries in its history.  At least eight can be found in the old, dusty tax records books on the third floor of the Kentucky Department of Libraries and Archives from the 1880s and later.  Unfortunately, these records were poorly organized until 1890, so finding any information is mostly by chance.  Of the eight previously mentioned, one in Buckeye was owned by Harrison Ray and produced 8 barrels of whiskey in 1882.  William Berkele and/or EH Chase and Co. owned a whiskey distillery in Bryantsville which produced hundreds of barrels a year from 1880 through 1886.  A small distillery called King and King operated from 1880 to 1883 but was bought by William Berkele.  James Herring operated a distillery in Lancaster from 1880 to 1886.  House and Co distilled in Lancaster 21 barrels of whiskey in 1882 and then began making brandy by 1884…

View original post 558 more words

The Denny House

Love this beautiful home in Paint Lick!

IMG_2459

IMG_2467The beautiful brick mansion that sits on the hill overlooking the main street of Paint Lick dates back to about 1827. The land was transferred to George Denny Sr. by his second wife’s father William Miller who first came to Kentucky with Daniel Boone.1 George Denny and wife Margaret Miller Denny built the home on this land to raise their family. George Denny was the uncle to George Denny Jr. the subject of two earlier posts on this blog. George Denny Sr. served as state senator in 1859 and was a prominent Republican in Garrard County. Denny was also one of the most active supporters for the Union during the Civil War.2 The land on which the Denny House sits is said to be the location of the first Fort Paint Lick according to the book Patches of Garrard County.3
Currently the home is owned by…

View original post 278 more words

12 Historic Houses In Kentucky Everyone Must Visit

My bucket list keeps growing to include these 12 Historic Homes in Kentucky!

The Edison Home

https://www.google.com/amp/www.onlyinyourstate.com/kentucky/historic-homes-ky/amp/